Donate & Support Our Work
Making an impact takes a broad-based, tangible commitment
BORDA stands for more than 40 years of fighting poverty and improving living conditions. Join our mission as a donor and help us take the next critical steps.
Your donation supports our work on the ground and helps ensure that we can continue contributing to significant change in disadvantaged communities around the world. In particular, your donation helps us to:
- design and implement decentralised and integrated urban sanitation systems;
- encourage start-ups to shape sustainable sanitation solutions with smart business models;
- work together with local partners as transparent and trusted long-term capacity builders; and
- endeavour to overcome one of the biggest challenges of the present—lack of access to clean water and adequate sanitation—and we aim to do it better and faster.
Donate here to support our work:
IBAN: DE38 2905 0101 0001 6592 18
Enabling sanitation entrepreneurs – with your support
Dar es Salaam, a city of 4.5 million people growing at a rate 250,000 people per year, is only 9% covered by sewerage networks. One solution: decentralised faecal sludge management (FSM) with small businesses connecting pit latrines, tanks and treatment.
Our model in Dar es Salaam aims to enable FSM entrepreneurs by providing latrine emptying tools, simple transportation and relevant skills training. The cost per site: €10,000 to €15,000.
FSM businesses: from 2 to more than 50 in the next 4 years. In pilot projects begun in 2012, BORDA built two successful faecal sludge treatment plants (FSTPs) to support existing collection service providers. In cooperation with the World Bank, the city of Dar es Salaam is now working on 50 more FSTPs along with suitable operating and business models. More than 750,000 people will obtain access to safely managed sanitation.
With your donation we can develop the FSM business concept further so that it can serve as a model for the whole sanitation sector, or we can begin providing start-up equipment to an FSM entrepreneur — enabling small businesses to not only provide essential services but also promote safe sanitation for all.
Donate here to support our work in Dar es Salaam:
IBAN: DE38 2905 0101 0001 6592 18
High-altitude faecal sludge management – with support from Hansa-Flex
Hansa-Flex AG, a Bremen-based international company specialising in fluid engineering, selected the BORDA-supported Leh, India faecal sludge management initiative as a recipient of funding through the Hansa-Flex 2017 Christmas Donor program.
The city of Leh — situated in a cold Himalayan desert at 12,000 feet in the Jammu & Kashmir district of Ladakh, India — is both partner and beneficiary of an innovative public-private partnership to provide citywide faecal sludge management (FSM) services in harsh conditions.
- A faecal sludge treatment plant (FSTP), designed by BORDA and CDD Society, handles the challenges of high altitude and extreme climatic conditions, as well as highly variable sludge inflow due to minimal wintertime activities.
- Blue Water Company, a private sanitation service company, will provide end-to-end FSM services.
- The municipality of Leh will provide policy support for FSM services.
Through the public-private partnership and thanks to the generous support of donors like Hansa-Flex, the city of Leh aims to be the first ODF++ (open defecation free) city in India.