How You Can Support Our Work
Making an impact takes a broad-based, tangible commitment
BORDA stands for more than 40 years of fighting poverty and improving living conditions. Join our mission as a donor and help us take the next critical steps.
Your donation supports our work on the ground and helps ensure that we can continue contributing to significant change in disadvantaged communities around the world. In particular, your donation helps us to:
- design and implement decentralised and integrated urban sanitation systems;
- encourage start-ups to shape sustainable sanitation solutions with smart business models;
- work together with local partners as transparent and trusted long-term capacity builders; and
- endeavour to overcome one of the biggest challenges of the present—lack of access to clean water and adequate sanitation—and we aim to do it better and faster.
Clean water in food production – with support from Henry Lamotte Food
"Everything we eat needs clean water to grow."
In summer 2019, BORDA received a generous donation from Henry Lamotte Food GmbH. Lamotte is one of the European food industry’s major suppliers of fruit, pulses and fish. “Sustainability has always been part of our company philosophy since the foundation of our family business in 1925”, says Maria Lamotte, Purchaser and Sustainability Manager at the heritage-rich Bremen company. “In the future, water management in agriculture and in food processing companies will become even more of a focus, and too little attention has so far been paid to the sanitation systems used by farmers and farm workers.” Going forward, Lamotte wants to work together with BORDA to develop social projects along the value chain.
Developing Septic Bags for emergency sanitation – with your support
In emergency camps, providing sanitation systems is an immense challenge. With no time and very little resources, camps cannot provide sufficient containment, storage and treatment of faecal sludge and effluent. Conventional septic tanks take too long to deploy, and existing pre-fab solutions are too bulky for storage and rapid transport. There is currently no sustainable, affordable and feasible sanitation solution on the market for immediate deployment in emergency camps.
In cooperation with Oxfam, BORDA is developing a new type of septic tank adapted to the needs of emergency camps: an innovative pre-fabricated Septic Bag made from a foldable membrane.
- Septic Bags can be warehoused in advance and quickly flown to emergency locations.
- Septic Bags can be set up within a day by non-specialists.
- Successful prototype: tested in October 2018 at hanseWasser, Bremen’s waterworks.
- The next step: testing and refining Septic Bags in the real-world conditions of a Rohingya camp in Bangladesh.
Your donation will help us complete the innovation process by mid-2020 and start producing industrial-standard Septic Bags ready to be shipped to emergency and refugee camps around the world!
Donate here to support our Septic Bag project:
IBAN: DE38 2905 0101 0001 6592 18
Enabling sanitation entrepreneurs – with your support
Dar es Salaam, a city of 4.5 million people growing at a rate 250,000 people per year, is only 9% covered by sewerage networks. One solution: decentralised faecal sludge management (FSM) with small businesses connecting pit latrines, tanks and treatment.
Our model in Dar es Salaam aims to enable FSM entrepreneurs by providing latrine emptying tools, simple transportation and relevant skills training. The cost per site: €10,000 to €15,000.
FSM businesses: from 2 to more than 50 in the next 4 years. In pilot projects begun in 2012, BORDA built two successful faecal sludge treatment plants (FSTPs) to support existing collection service providers. In cooperation with the World Bank, the city of Dar es Salaam is now working on 50 more FSTPs along with suitable operating and business models. More than 750,000 people will obtain access to safely managed sanitation.
With your donation we can develop the FSM business concept further so that it can serve as a model for the whole sanitation sector, or we can begin providing start-up equipment to an FSM entrepreneur — enabling small businesses to not only provide essential services but also promote safe sanitation for all.
Donate here to support our work in Dar es Salaam:
IBAN: DE38 2905 0101 0001 6592 18
High-altitude faecal sludge management – with support from Hansa-Flex
Hansa-Flex AG, a Bremen-based international company specialising in fluid engineering, selected the BORDA-supported Leh, India faecal sludge management initiative as a recipient of funding through the Hansa-Flex 2017 Christmas Donor program.
The city of Leh — situated in a cold Himalayan desert at 12,000 feet in the Jammu & Kashmir district of Ladakh, India — is both partner and beneficiary of an innovative public-private partnership to provide citywide faecal sludge management (FSM) services in harsh conditions.
- A faecal sludge treatment plant (FSTP), designed by BORDA and CDD Society, handles the challenges of high altitude and extreme climatic conditions, as well as highly variable sludge inflow due to minimal wintertime activities.
- Blue Water Company, a private sanitation service company, will provide end-to-end FSM services.
- The municipality of Leh will provide policy support for FSM services.
Through the public-private partnership and thanks to the generous support of donors like Hansa-Flex, the city of Leh aims to be the first ODF++ (open defecation free) city in India.