Job Opening at BORDA: Executive Secretary (Head of Secretariat) for the Faecal Sludge Management Alliance
18 January 2019
5 February 2019
BORDA e.V. is looking for an Executive Secretary (Head of Secretariat) for the Faecal Sludge Management Alliance.
In 2011, a group of individuals and organisations came together to create a platform for identifying challenges around faecal sludge management (FSM) in rapidly urbanising centres in developing countries, promoting sustainable solutions, exchanging knowledge and encouraging innovation.
The biennial FSM Conference is an established fixture in the conference calendar for the water and sanitation sector. Last year it attracted over 1.200 participants.
The core group responsible for planning, organising and running the conference is the ‘Committee’ – a voluntary group of 17 individuals representing eight well established organisations in the field of FSM and urban sanitation.
In December 2018, this group formed the FSM Alliance and elected an Executive Committee. One of the key mechanisms for realising their vision is the creation of a Secretariat whose core responsibility is the organisation and hosting of successful, high quality FSM Conferences. In addition, the FSM Alliance and its Secretariat shall develop and deliver other programmes and projects to support the growth of the FSM and non-sewered sanitation sector. BORDA acts as the hosting organisation of the Secretariat.
The Head of Secretariat is responsible for the following:
- Establishing and leading a Secretariat that is fit for purpose in delivering high quality FSM (faecal sludge management) Conferences that advance FSM communication, learning and practice
- Ensuring the Executive Committee is supported in its governance and strategic leadership roles in the FSM Alliance
- Ensuring that the Executive Committee and the Conference Committees and Sub-Committees have the support they need to deliver on their functions vis-a-vis Conference design and organisation
- Leading the Secretariat in developing long-term plans for the financial sustainability and development of the FSM Alliance to achieve its vision, mandate and goals
- Developing, supporting and maintaining strategic institutional relationships that place FSM development in the context of city- and settlement-wide inclusive sanitation development.
- Working with the Executive Committee to continue developing the organisational model of the FSM Alliance, including growing its membership and partners
- Candidate will report to the Chair of the Executive Committee or a designated member of the Committee
Essential and proven:
- Experience with successfully leading or starting up and building an organisation or enterprise
- Experience with working well in partnerships, consortia or similar multi-organisation collaborations and facilitating contributions from collaborators
- Demonstrated willingness and interest in encouraging, enabling and facilitating others to take both the lead and the credit in achieving organisational objectives
- Experience with effective support for Boards and/or similar governance entities in organisations
- Experience with managing and developing staff, including distance management of staff
- Experience with developing fund-raising and other resource mobilisation strategies and with leading fundraising and resource mobilisation efforts
- Experience with building and maintaining relations with donors
- Knowledge of the water and sanitation, sustainable cities and/or urban planning sectors and stakeholders
- Skills and experience in project and programme development and management
- Experience with or knowledge of conference/large event planning and management
- Experience with contracting and managing external contractors
- Excellent teamwork skills and a reputation for humility and productivity
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Knowledge of and interest in the faecal sludge management, non-sewered and/or sewered sanitation sector
- Experience with volunteer recruitment and management
- Knowledge of advocacy planning, strategies and tactics and of setting advocacy objectives
- Experience with lobbying and success in achieving advocacy objectives
- Understanding of and experience with setting communication strategies and monitoring communication performance
- Knowledge of membership organisations and development of services for members
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in French and/or Spanish
The Secretariat may be located in Durban, Republic of South Africa. Location will be subject to discussions with the FSM Alliance.
5 February 2019
How to Apply
Send your CV (in English) and a motivation letter (one page) outlining how your experience and profile align with the requirements for this position. References from previous assignments are an asset.
Please send your documents in .docx or .pdf format. Applications must be addressed to Judith Ringlstetter (HR Manager BORDA) at gro.a1550650898drob@1550650898sboj1550650898 with the email subject stating “Executive Secretary FSM Alliance” / [+your surname in the subject line].
Bremer Arbeitsgemeinschaft für
Überseeforschung und Entwicklung e.V.
Tel. 0421 – 40 89 52 – 0
Who we are
The Bremen Overseas Research & Development Association (BORDA e.V.) is an expert NGO specialising in sanitation. For over 40 years, our award-winning solutions have empowered people and set new standards in 20+ countries.
What we do
BORDA provides game-changing sanitation solutions worldwide through facilitating knowledge transfer, providing sanitation solutions & management, and facilitating partnerships.
How we do it
- Staying close to people – “from mason to minister”
- Testing our solutions in reality
- Adapting & innovating
- Acting as a trusted advisor
Our impact: increased liveability, lasting structural change, empowered players
BORDA empowers people to make their communities more liveable.