Job Opening: BORDA Africa Regional Director
Regional Director Africa (m/f/d)” based in our regional office in Dar es Salaam (Tanzania)
BORDA e.V. is looking for a:
“Regional Director Africa (m/f/d)” based in our regional office in Dar es Salaam (Tanzania)
The Africa programme’s core activities are mainly financed by the BMZ. It is entering a new phase beginning from 2022 – 2024. The Regional Director is responsible for all ongoing activities in Tanzania, Zambia, South Africa, Mali and for developing additional activities in other African countries.
BORDA e.V. is a civil society expert organization founded more than four decades ago in Bremen, Germany. Our work focuses on the core tasks of services of general interest: water, wastewater, basic sanitation, energy and waste.
We stand for a human right. Services of general interest are a prerequisite for the creation of sustainable and liveable communities.
Together with governments and city councils, with local businesses and our partner organizations, we work to improve municipal planning processes and build effective sanitation structures. Thanks to our long-standing knowhow and successfully tested decentralized sanitation systems, we can offer solutions that significantly improve people’s living conditions.
The German Federal Ministry mainly finances our work in more than 25 countries for Economic Cooperation and Development. Other important donors are the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Swiss International Cooperation and the Bremen Plenipotentiary to the Federal Government for Development Cooperation
- Overall lead of teams and responsibility for developing and implementing and expansion the strategy of our Africa programme, with focus on West and Eastern Africa.
- Liaise/network with high-level stakeholders on national and international level.
- Actively acquire additional project funds from national and international donors and other sources.
- Develop and strengthen the regional network organisational structure and support our partners to grow to their fullest potential.
- Develop internal capacities and provide inspirational guidance to the national teams.
- Develop BORDA’s Africa strategy in close cooperation with Headquarters and ensure its sustainable implementation.
- Ensure the administration of and compliance with the different donor financed projects (BMZ, GIZ, DFID, World Bank, UNDP, BMGF etc.) according to all relevant internal, external, local and international regulations.
- Supervise all employees within the Africa project teams.
- Report to Headquarters on a quarterly basis.
- Additional tasks as required.
Project related Activities
- Ensure implementation of project activities for DEWATS (Decentralised Wastewater Treatment Systems), decentralised solid waste management, CSP (City Sanitation Planning), and liveable cities projects according to set goals in terms of quality, time, and budget.
- Develop and promote the regional BORDA training centre to provide capacity development to partner organisations, governmental stakeholders, and private sector actors in the sanitation sector.
- Maintain and improve the internal Quality Management Systems (QMS) in close co-operation with BORDA HQ.
- Actively support the global BORDA Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Programme and Research and Development (R&D) activities in the region.
- Strengthening partnerships within the WASH sector, ensuring access to sustained high quality WASH services for all.
- Master’s degree and professional qualification in a relevant subject (international development studies, project management, social sciences), preferably with reference to the Water and Sanitation sector.
- Minimum 5 years of international experience, preferably in Africa.
- Strong expertise in relevant development sectors, particularly in and around Sustainable Development Goal 6.
- Proven track-record in project management and administration of similar projects / programmes.
- Leadership experience with a strong “hands-on” attitude: getting things moving and delivering results, while also building internal capacity.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: able to create, maintain and expand relationships with local, national and international stakeholders and decision-makers at multiple levels.
- High degree of flexibility and adaptability to sometimes challenging environments.
- Team-player, motivator and high social leadership competencies: able to inspire action within the team and foster a positive and dynamic workplace environment.
- Knowledge of ERP systems.
- Business fluency in English – French, German, and other relevant languages would be an additional asset.
Innovative and high creative freedom, international and familiar, with strong values and roots.
How to Apply
Send your CV (in English) and a motivation letter (one page) which summarises how your experience and profile align with the essential requirements for this position. References from previous assignments are an asset.
Please send your documents in .docx or .pdf format. Applications must be addressed to Ms. Judith Ringlstetter () with the email subject stating “Regional Director Africa”/[+your surname in the subject line].